Description

Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence? -Sathya Sai Baba

Friday, June 3, 2005

Kids, Don't Blog Drunk

Seriously. I almost posted this weird little rant after reading Roger Bonair-Agard's blog entry from Jamaica. Somehow I got in my head that racial tension could actually be a good thing, that somehow that tension created some of the most fruitful and amazing hybrids (rock and roll, the current New York poetry scene, hip-hop). I also managed to tie it all together with references to Mars, the God of War, and the concept of sacrifice and blood (all Gods demand sacrifices, but if you give them the right sacrifice, all Gods come bearing gifts). I think, with a little bit of effort and a good bit of time to meditate, I could have had a pretty good entry, but drunk? Fuhgedaboudit. I sounded like a racist nutjob with a hard-on for Roman Mythology.

Maybe some other time.

I'll be in Chicago next week. My company thinks I'm responsible enough to send there to help open up a new office. Amazing. Anyway, they'll put me up in hotel, and that'll be fun. But what will I do when I'm not at work? Write, read, walk, drink, visit some friends and family, eat some food, and think about Home (specifically, my wife, my friends, my band, my cat - and somehow, my city of New York).

BTW the magazine proceeds apace. We should have the first draft out to the poets soon! You'll love it, I promise. Subscriptions are available. Just leave a comment, or email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment