Description

Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence? -Sathya Sai Baba

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Skinless

In Katie's words, I've spent the last couple of days wandering around without my skin on. Ray Bradbury's death yesterday hit me kind of hard, I was dealing with some edits that, in my skin-less condition, just served to convince me that I was a terrible writer, and I couldn't cope with my job at all. I was raw and emotionally knotted, for no reason. It felt like the worst of the PAWS.

I'm feeling much better, thank you. I have NO idea what that was all about. I took some positive action yesterday to alleviate my mood that seemed to help. Step one: go see Lev Grossman, Cat Valente, Kristin Cashore, N.K. Jemisin,  and Naomi Novik read at the New York Library. Step two: see some folks I've seen at other readings. Talk to them. Realize that I'm actually pretty good at this talking to people thing. Step three: have Lev Grossman start things off with a tribute to Ray Bradbury, which is sort of the reason I went. Step four: enjoy. Step five: properly inspired, go meet my friends to make some music of my own.

Mood = improved. Very much so. It was like waking up from a fever dream. Suddenly, the sun is shining, gravity is fifty percent lighter, and I can smile without thinking about it.

Speaking of edits, I'm taking the opportunity to let people know that I have a story coming up in the next Devilfish Review. I'm really proud of it - I'll let you know when it comes out. It's my first story publication since 1992, so what's 20 years?  Worth the wait, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment